Papakura Normal School is a full primary school situated in Papakura, approximately 30 km south of Auckland City. We cater for students from Year 1 to Year 8 (children aged 5 - 12).
We have a current roll of approximately 670 pupils. Our school community draws from a wide range of cultural backgrounds including Māori, European, Polynesian, Asian, Indian and other ethnicities.
The school originally opened in 1953 as Papakura North School, situated on the boundary of the Papakura Military Camp.
In 1958, we became affiliated to Ardmore Teachers College and our name was officially changed to "Papakura Normal School".
The word 'Normal' represented the French word 'normale' which means teaching school. At that time, a model country school was set up on the premises and operated as an independent "school within a school". This was to provide opportunities for student teachers to experience teaching in a small rural environment.
Our Mission Statement
"To inspire and enable young people to progress toward their future, equipped to meet the challenges ahead."
To develop thoughtful, sensitive and responsible citizens who care for others and their environment.
Our School Motto
He waka eke noa.
We are in this together.
Our School Values
Our Special Character
- A Normal School working in partnership with the University of Auckland, Faculty of Education and Social Work.
- A multicultural full primary school catering for individual differences.
- A well-resourced school working with families and community to enable children to achieve their academic, cultural and sporting potential.
Suggestions to help your child when starting school:
· Please name your child’s clothing, lunch box, drink bottle and black shoes.
· Please be at school before 8.50 am so they have time to settle and get ready for the day.
· Be prompt picking up your child at 3.00 pm. Please collect your children from the classroom.
· Expect your child to be tired at first. A hassle free, early bedtime is important to ensure your child has plenty of sleep.
· Provide a good lunch with food that your child likes. Make sure there’s enough for a snack at playtime as well as lunch at lunchtime. Make sure your child can open their lunch box, containers and packages!
· Please give your child water or juice not fizzy drinks and please do not send any drink to school in a glass bottle.
· Please talk to the teachers if you are concerned about anything. We are usually in the classroom before and after school.
· Buy your child’s schoolbag before starting school so they can practice opening and closing their bag by themselves. (Avoid little bags as your child won’t be able to close it and their belongings will fall out!)
· Please ensure your child has correct school uniform (coloured socks and T shirts worn under uniform are not acceptable).
· Velcro shoes are easier for 5 year olds to handle, but please no canvas shoes (they get wet and the children have wet feet for the rest of the day).